CBC Abu Dhabi organized a reception in honor of its Platinum and Gold sponsors. It was hosted by His Excellency Masud Husain, Ambassador of Canada to the UAE, and his wife Mrs. Leila Elfenne, at the Official Residence.
In his welcome speech, H. E. Masud Husain greeted the guests and he emphasized the importance of CBC’s role in the UAE business community as a catalyst. He then briefed the audience on the latest Canadian government news, including the appointment of Mrs. Chrystia Freeland as Minister of Foreign Affairs, succeeding Mr. Stephane Dion. Previously, Mrs. Freeland was the Minister of International Trade, a post that has since been filled by Mr. François-Philippe Champagne.
Furthermore, The Ambassador highlighted the recent appointment of Somali-born, Mr. Ahmed Hussen as the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship. The Ambassador hailed the diversity of Canada and its multiculturalism noting that Mr. Hussen, who arrived in Canada as a refugee at the age of sixteen (16), has now assumed his current Minister position. He concluded by saying “This is Canada, this is who we are”!
Mr. Gregory Zoughbi, CBC Board Member and Head of Membership and Sponsorship, thanked the Ambassador and his wife for their hospitality in hosting this event and for their continued commitment and support to CBC. He also thanked CBC sponsors for their continuous support and commitment to CBC objectives, recognizing that CBC and its sponsors have a shared interest in developing the UAE economy and the Canada-UAE business relationship. Accordingly, Mr. Zoughbi encouraged CBC sponsors to encourage further organizations to sponsor CBC, noting that “we have shared interests, and therefore we all benefit by being a larger team”. Mr. Zoughbi also recognized that various CBC sponsors have taken advantage of numerous CBC benefits, and therefore he encouraged them to socialize and share their positive experiences from sponsoring CBC.
CBC sponsors that attended the ceremony benefited from sponsoring CBC in various ways such as:
- Events designated to promote your organizational interests, for instance the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (ADX) through the CBC VAT Seminar;
2. Matching-making business services in coordination with the commercial team at the Embassy of Canada, for instance Ali and Sons Group during the ADIPEC Conference;
3. Access to sponsors, members, and our mailing list, for instance Etihad Airways that asked for introductions to the chief executives of other Canadian and Emriati CBC sponsors and business contacts; and
4. Promote your business via the CBC regular newsletter, for instance First Gulf Bank (FGB) and SNC Lavalin to promote their news and Dusit Thani Hotel Abu Dhabi to distribute brunch vouchers.
Mr. Jack Matar, CBC Abu Dhabi Chairman, thanked H. E. Masud Husain and his wife Leila Elfenne for their hospitality in hosting the event. He also thanked and addressed the guests, highlighting the importance of sponsorships for CBC. He also encouraged CBC sponsors to spread the word to their acquaintances, friends and contacts to join CBC and support its efforts and the momentum it brings in bridging Canadian and UAE business communities. Mr. Matar then handed certificates of appreciation to every CBC sponsor and paused for pictures with each company representative.
CBC Sponsors and partners appreciated during the event were:
- Sponsor Relationship Represented By Embassy of Canada to the UAE Partnership H. E. Masud Hussain, Ambassador
- H. E. Masud Hussain Partnership, Going Beyond His Duties Himself
- Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (ADX) Platinum Sponsor, VAT Event H.E. Rashed Al-Baloushi, CEO
- Air Canada Gold Sponsor Ms. Deline Pereira, Corporate Key Account Manager on Behalf of Mr. Deepu Cyriac, Country Manager, UAE
- Awazen Medical Center Gold Sponsor Mr. Shamis Bin Ali Al Dhaheri, Group Managing Director of Ali & Sons on behalf of Ms. Aysha Bin Ali Al Dhaheri, Managing Director of Awazen Medical Center
- Bank of Montreal (BMO) Platinum Sponsor Mr. Firas Mallah, Managing Director
- CAE Inc. Gold Sponsor, IDEX Networking Reception Mr. Peter Lawton, Program Manager on behalf of Mr. Robert Kemp, Vice President of Maritime Solutions
- Canada-UAE Business Council Partner H. E. Omar Al Hashmi, Co-Chair
- Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC) Silver Sponsor, IDEX Networking Reception Col (Ret’d) Michael Cessford, OMM, MSM, PhD
- Regional Director (Middle East),
- Canadian Commercial Corporation
- Concorde Corodex Gold Sponsor Mahmoud Awad, Managing Director
- Dusit Thani Hotel Abu Dhabi Gold Sponsor Mr. Desmond Hatton, General Manager
- Fairmont Bal Al Bahr Gold Sponsor Mr. Mohamed Wakeb, Director of Protocol and Government Affairs on behalf of Mr. Eddy Tannous, General Manager
- First Gulf Bank (FGB) Gold Sponsor Mr. Andre Sayegh, Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Ideanco Platinum Sponsor Mr. Maher Ezzedine, Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Ministry of Economy Partner H. E. Juma Al Kait, Assistant Undersecretary for International Cooperation, Ministry of Economy , on behalf of H. E. Abdulla Al Saleh, Undersecretary of Foreign Trade and Industry
- PAL Aerospace Gold Sponsor, IDEX Networking Reception Mr. Aiham Al Khatib, Regional Marketing Manager on behalf of Mr. Keith Stoodley, Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- SNC Lavalin Gold Sponsor
- Platinum Sponsor, ADIPEC Networking Reception Dr. Ziad Awad, Senior Vice President Head of Region, Middle East, India & Africa
- Toledo Engineering and Mechanical Works Gold Sponsor Mr. Jack Matar, Managing Director
The following sponsors respectfully missed the event:
- Sponsor Relationship Represented By Apparel Group Platinum Sponsor Mr. Neeraj Teckchandani, Group Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Bombardier Specialized Aircraft Platinum Sponsor, IDEX Networking Reception Mr. Kamel Srour, Sales Director, Africa, Middle East & Turkey
- Etihad Airways Platinum Sponsor Mr. Ahmed Al Shehhi, Head of UAE Corporate Sales
- General Dynamics (GD) Middle East Platinum Sponsor, IDEX Networking Reception Mr. James Wilson, Program Manager
The reception resumed in a warm ambiance until 8:30 PM.