SUPPORT S.O. TEAM CANADA AND OTHER ATHLETES AT THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS WORLD GAMES IN ABU DHABI IN MARCH 2019
From March 8 to 22, 2019, Abu Dhabi and Dubai will welcome more than 7,000 athletes to compete in 24 sports at the Special Olympics World Games 2019. Held every four years, the Games are the marquee event of the Special Olympics movement which promotes the abilities and accomplishment of people with intellectual disabilities.
The Embassy of Canada champions this initiative as inclusion is a core Canadian value. With the Consulate General in Dubai, we are working to ensure a safe and successful visit of the 160-strong members of SO Team Canada. Ambassador Masud Husain has already promised them that the Canadian community in the UAE was ready to cheer them on!
You may asked yourself: what can you do to support SO Team Canada? It is pretty simple:
1. Sign up to the Special Olympics Canada newsletter at eepurl.com/gejLL1 to keep up to date on the exploits of these inspirational athletes before and during the Games!
2. Attend the competitions in Abu Dhabi and Dubai from March 14 to 21 as part of “S.O. Team Canada Booster Club”! While the detailed schedule has not yet been released, we are hoping to mobilize a large contingent of Canadiansupporters at the following events:
- · Swimming in Dubai on Friday, March 15 (morning session)
- · Rhythmic Gymnastics in Abu Dhabi on Friday, March 15
- · Soccer in Abu Dhabi on Friday, March 15
- · Team Sport (Basketball or Soccer) in Abu Dhabi on Saturday, March 16
All dates and times are still subject to change, please follow our social media accounts to find out final timings of when and where SO Team Canada will be competing.
3. Share content from the Embassy’s social media accounts to your own network. We have and will be featuring stories of Canadian athletes, inspirational sporting books, events organized in support of the World Games and their live-coverage!
In the meantime to learn more about the Embassy and Consulate General’s initiatives on Special Olympics, please contact Ms. Anne-Marie Genin-Charette, Special Olympics Coordination Officer by email at Anne-Marie.Genin-Charette@international.gc.ca.